Content Harry Potter Crossovers

Reviews

Fic Chick posted a comment on Friday 3rd November 2017 10:08pm for Painful Discoveries

I gotta say that Snape's death was kinda disappointing...sorta anticlimactic.

Lerris Smith posted a comment on Friday 9th December 2011 4:19am for Painful Discoveries

This is a reread for me. This remains a quite compelling story, if perhaps not quite as interesting as on the first read. I thought the part where Harry accidentally killed Snape followed with Hermione leaving was fairly believable, particularly since Harry said something stupid accidentally. I don't actually recall any other stories where Harry kills Snape accidentally. Realistically, given the power in the Harry Potter magical world that everyone carries around, it would be realistic for there to be more accidents like that.

taxzombie posted a comment on Sunday 2nd September 2007 1:41am for Painful Discoveries

I was surprised that you did indeed kill off Snape. But overall his absense is no great loss.

The letter came across to me as Dumbledore once again trying to manipulate Harry. It seems that he will never learn.

One other thing, with the death of Snape wouldn't a imperio placed by him fade away? I don't recall any mention of Dumbledore having himself checked for said spell. If I'm correct it testing wouldn't matter unless say a 'ghost' of the spell lingered.

Harry's interaction with Hermione reminded me of one time where I attempted to use sarcasm in an English class when we were studying what it meant. I damn near got my head handed to me by the fairer sex that day. Scary!

Got quite the kick out of Fawkes and the marshmellow scene. The bucket of water wasn't bad either.

I continue to be drawn into this tale. An excellent read.

darthloki posted a comment on Friday 23rd February 2007 5:23am for Painful Discoveries

Love these lines:


I sighed with exaggerated pleasure and gave a little twist of my wrist, letting the wand in my right sleeve drop into my waiting hand. "You know, it’s been months since anyone tried to kill me," I said casually. "I was beginning to feel distinctly unappreciated."

A veritable cascade of red, gold, and silver sparks erupted from the tips, which caused a number of small fires in Dumbledore's beard and hair.
You know, sometimes life just gives you a free kick. As much as I'd like to claim that, it was an accident.

I shrugged. "He can wait. So can the owl from the Pope. I need some advice."
One of Zab’s eyebrows migrated north. "Papal correspondence can wait? This sounds intriguing."

or he had learned that poking a lion with a stick was not a good thing to do when the only thing between you was the lion’s ethics.

"A muggle author once wrote that there are four different kinds of homicide, Professor. Felonious, excusable, justifiable and praiseworthy. While it would make little difference to Snape himself, I’m quite sure three-quarters of Wizarding Lawyers schooled at Hogwarts in the past fourteen years would argue that the death of Professor Snape falls into the last classification."

TxA_GunFighter posted a comment on Tuesday 18th July 2006 1:18pm for Painful Discoveries

Bummer.

gunny

pstibbons posted a comment on Friday 14th July 2006 11:24pm for Painful Discoveries

Fawkes cooking (overcooking) a marshmellow - and Harry's reaction to it - brilliant.

Albus must be learning something if he wrote a letter like the one he wrote.

The Gringotts letter is a good development, if a little too well timed on the part of the author (yes, that's you, you awesome idjit!)

I like this fic. And its predecessor.

Asad posted a comment on Thursday 13th July 2006 4:09am for Painful Discoveries

Just wanted to mention another thing... I felt that your point of view for the narration of the fic was kinda first person... I found it a bit odd considering every other fic I have read is usually in third person.

I sometimes had to go back and reread the sentence/paragraph to make it a bit more clear...

Asad posted a comment on Thursday 13th July 2006 4:06am for Painful Discoveries

Just read till here this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a lot after the 'rant' on the forums. I really don't think it is a matter of much concern and I stand by what I said in the thread: Ignore those who are too juvinile. They will go away... eventually.

I did enjoy the interactions between Harry and the Pope. The reference of a slytherin-ish Pope has quite a few possibilities which I am sure you will enjoy writing and we will enjoy reading. :)

Now I see you have another chapter up... gonna go read that...

Chia posted a comment on Saturday 8th July 2006 10:24pm for Painful Discoveries

I can truly say that ur fanfics are some of the best i've read.

Something interesting is that ur story reminded me that HP shows some realities that are resent in our world. For example, the fact that it's human nature to criticized and attack that which differs from our point of view, degrade that which challenges our beliefs, and If we don't agree then it is unconceivable that someone else does, u know kind of the way the purebloods act.

Look, I'm a Catholic and to me all of the suble jokes that some ppl found hilarious were actually insulting to others. For example, the one of ow can we ask advice about our sex life... u might see it that way when I see it as being reminded of the sanctity of marriage and life, but that's b/c I'm naive and stupid right? Or calling power-hungry a man who I, like thousand of other young ppl, saw as a grandfather, a man who just watching him laugh like a small child in a video makes my heart fill wth joy, a man who forgave the man who tried to killed him, a man whose kindness was great that he had billions of ppl praying for him in his last moments on this earth.

I don't expect u to change ur views on the catholic church, i don't exoect to change anybodies view. I just wanted u to be aware that ppl can be offended when u belittle their faith, their beliefs and u call them stupid for thinking that way, and plz do not say that's not what u meant, plz don't challenge my intelligence any more than u alreay have.

I really like the story, but could u plz tell me if the catholic bashing continues in the rest of the story.

I really do love ur stories and i think ur a gr8t writer.

Chia

PS: I really hope u understand what i'm tryng to say.

Draco664 replied:

Thank you for your review, and its polite tone, even though you were obviously offended by what was in the fic.

I will try to keep my reply civil as well, even though this is about the hundredth time I've had to say this.

My views are not equal to my Harry's views. And vice versa.

This is a work of fiction. I have developed an already existing character, one who has never had exposure to any religion at all, and as such sees the traditions of the Catholic church in a simplistic and childish way, rather than understanding why they exist, and what purpose they serve.

Now, can you accept that the thoughts of a character in a work of fiction are not those of the author? If so, keep reading, and enjoy. If not, please stop reading now, and never pick up a book again.

atlantis-rob posted a comment on Saturday 8th July 2006 5:05am for Painful Discoveries

Agh....what a couple of days for harry, what a dumb ass response from him but typical about snape, hopefully harry adn herms can work this out after she has some time alone. Great job on dumbles letter to harry and I think that may help that relationship a bit and cheers for blaise for her great talk with harry! Keep up the awesome work!

Jarvey posted a comment on Wednesday 28th June 2006 9:53am for Painful Discoveries

Oi! Don't leave us hanging!

brad posted a comment on Tuesday 27th June 2006 8:20pm for Painful Discoveries

What can I say? Harry said it for me:

"Hermione leaving [him] was a blow."

It was after only the last chapter, I think, that I was begging you to ensure that Hermione stayed the distance with Harry. And then I read this! Arrgh.

I'm not sure you've hit on Hermione's true reaction to Harry killing someone. Or maybe you have. I'm struggling to try and remember what canon!Hermione is like - and then the Apprentice Potter version extrapolated from same - and ignore the soft and fluffy fanon version that tends to dominate the fanfics. Well, the H/Hr ones, anyway.

Hermione in shock for most of the day - I think that makes sense. Accusing Harry of *murdering* Snape - rather than manslaughter - I don't think so. She was privy in full to Harry's thoughts immediately prior to their meeting, and should know him well enough to understand that he's neither a liar (to her) nor a cold -blooded killer.

Hermione more/ultimately worried about her career, and how the event affects *her*? Well, maybe. Certainly she's been cast as the one obeying all the rules throughout canon, and worried about breaking same. But I would have said the pre-HBP Hermione was more concerned at supporting Harry, keeping him alive, than in her own more mundane ambitions.

Still, in your universe, Harry ended up killing Voldemort, so maybe the 'SUPPORT HARRY' imperative in her mind eventually eroded.

Still, I'm bloody disappointed in Hermione for abandoning Harry like that. I dearly hope they hitch back up together.

This didn't ring true for me at all:

> I shook my head and said the first thing that came to me. "But we got away with it!"

Ugh. That just felt awkward and clumsy to me. I would have thought something like "But it was self-defence!" would have been the first thing to pop out.

As always I enjoyed the chapter; it's always refreshing to plunge into another first-person story. And the humour is always good stuff too, magical turkeys and all. Can't wait for the next installment, thanks for this one!

gaul2000 posted a comment on Saturday 24th June 2006 3:41pm for Painful Discoveries

Enjoyed reading this alot, wonder how harry will talk in italian with out the stud, and what was stolen, also wonders if ddore possibly fake snape's death?, Keep up the good work, byes

Arkeus posted a comment on Wednesday 14th June 2006 12:52am for Painful Discoveries

Hum... Really like this chapter. A bit worried with what's going to happen to everyone now, but harry really was in self defense so it won't be too hard for him to get off the courts? Oh, and your hermione's reaction was spot on: loyal to harry during the action but wanting answers and panicking once the adrelanine is down. Exellent.

MasterKtulu posted a comment on Tuesday 13th June 2006 5:10pm for Painful Discoveries

You killed Snape! You actually killed Snape! You read stories all the time that Harry fantasies about killing Snape, but he doesn’t do it (Unless it’s one of those usually badly written stories about an evil psycho Harry). But here you are, having written a great in depth Harry Potter series (One of my all time favorite in fact) and you actually have Harry kill Snape off (Accidentally killed, but killed all the same). Well you’ve made my day, continue with the good work and I hope you’re able to update somewhat soon.

P.S.
If this is some sort of trick, and Snape isn’t really dead but instead is part of one of Dumbledore’s schemes, I’ll be very angry with you! (But not too angry to actually stop reading you story)

Lucia posted a comment on Monday 12th June 2006 10:58am for Painful Discoveries

What an ending. Poor Harry.
Snape's death was a bit anticlimatic. He had great promise in spicing up any story. I still think that because Albus was down there that long, they improvised a cunning plan and Severus is still alive. A cunning plan for what, is of course a whole different thing...
Hermione's and Blaize's views were interesting. So different but being there really does the difference.

alec_potter posted a comment on Monday 12th June 2006 6:04am for Painful Discoveries

awesom chapter,the story is great...only problem is that you dont update fast.hermione acted shit...hope she suffers for it,blaise is way too cool.and it's a nice twist,robbery at gringots.lets see what happens next.update soon.

Master Slytherin posted a comment on Sunday 11th June 2006 10:42am for Painful Discoveries

I've read Apprentice Potter and Journeyman Potter and both are now without a doubt the best stories I've read in the past twelve months.

At first I was reluctant to read as I caught whiff of the 1st person but it really does work. In most other 3rd person situations, Harry would look like a spoiled bastard but here we get his reasoning behind it.

What I also love is the fact that every single chapter is relevant. Every single chapter is interesting and captivating in its own right and have some way of driving the plot forward. No 108 chapters where you have to skim over most of it but 100% relevant. I don't think I even skimmed over a paragraph even it was so good, it was almost like a real novel in that sense.

I'm happy Snape's dead now, you almost overused the Snape!bashing card but the death came almost at the right time. I hope with everything I can hope on that Hermione is no longer part of the love triangle. They'll tentatively make up and go back to friends leaving my favourite character Blaise to share a proper realtionship with Harry (yeah you can call me traditional or realistic or whatever but two girlfriends just can't work even for the best authors, this fic showed that). If that happens, this will be the best fanfiction I've ever read.

My favourite parts are perhaps the subtle jokes you add in (for example asking a priest who is sworn to celibacy about pregnancy help >_<), they really lighten the mood and make it entertaining (something some overly serious authors, should take note of). The duelling was also well done and the fact that we weren't given minute-by-minute accounts of what Harry was doing througout the year was another added bonus.

I was wondering where you had gone off to after Midnight Duel, Midday Love was taken off ff.net for whatever reason and I was pleasantly surprised to find that this fic tops it. Wonderful.

Patches posted a comment on Sunday 11th June 2006 4:15am for Painful Discoveries

A quite desturbing chapter. It is so hard to believe that Snape could be dead. He has been the "evil" element from the beginning right after Voldemort! I can see Hermione going off at a tangent. She can be very volatile! Still I really enjoyed the twist you have put into this story. I am curious to see how this plays out. Thank you for writing. pms

MarkH posted a comment on Saturday 10th June 2006 11:07pm for Painful Discoveries

OK, so loved the interaction with Prof McG! Frankly, i've never understood the seeming acceptance that the other teachers have shown to Snape's attitudes and behavours.

Hermione's reaction surprised me a little. And i must admit that I find myself thinking that Harry may be better off without her if she is going to continue to "... think the worst" of him everytime something happens.

Keep up the great work though, especially the ongoing growth of the Harry Potter character itself.