Content Harry Potter Crossovers
  • Previous
  • Next

Talk

Madam Pomfrey's shriek of alarm on seeing Cho had managed to wake Ron, and, Sirius thought, damage his eardrums.

Dumbledore had grabbed hold of Cho and Sirius and transported them to the infirmary, seconds after Cho's dramatic arrival. Sirius had transformed the instant they arrived, and just before the school nurse had laid eyes on them.

Cho had been rushed to a hospital bed, charms on the mattress and sheets allowing her to lie without discomfort, and was being fussed over. Dumbledore gently removed the gag, and a crumpled piece of parchment fell out of her mouth. Placing both the gag and parchment on the bedside table, he drew his wand and prepared to assist Madam Pomfrey. "Poppy, will she be OK?"

Madam Pomfrey didn't answer, focused as she was on determining Cho's condition. Cho mouthed something to the headmaster. He lowered his head to put his ear near the injured student's mouth. "Water," he heard Cho whisper.

Nodding, he went and grabbed the water pitcher from beside Ron's bed, holding up his hand to stop the trio from following him. He carried it back to Cho's side, and poured her a glass. As gently as holding a baby, Dumbledore cupped Cho's head and brought the glass to her lips. She took a few sips before coughing, and spraying Madam Pomfrey. She mouthed an apology.

Poppy waved the apology away. She finally stopped her frenzied examination, and relaxed enough to start making her charge comfortable. "You look worse than you are, dear."

Cho nodded. "I know," she whispered.

"Miss. Chang, do you feel up to telling me what happened?"

"Albus!" Madam Pomfrey interrupted, sounding outraged. "She needs rest! I need to heal those burns. She has bruises all over her body."

Cho looked at the nurse. "Thank you," she croaked. "But I need to tell the Headmaster what happened."

Dumbledore gave her a grateful look. "Poppy, I believe Mr. Weasley is awake. Would you see to him?"

Madam Pomfrey went from outraged to furious. "Now see here, Albus. This girl has been through an ordeal the likes of which you have no idea. She needs medical attention."

"Is she in any immediate danger?"

Madam Pomfrey looked troubled. "Well, no. Her heart is strong, her breathing is fine. All her internal organs seem to be functioning correctly. But look at her!"

"I will allow you as much time as you need, but first it is imperative that I get as much intelligence from her experience as possible. Since it involves some sensitive information, I need to ask you to attend to your other charges."

With lips pressed together so firmly, you could use them as an anvil, Poppy Pomfrey stormed off to see to Ron. Dumbledore cast a quick silencing charm around Cho's bed.

"Now, Miss. Chang, what happened last night?"

Cho proceeded to relate the events of the previous evening, from being woken by Hermione, to Ginny's introduction and assault of Sirius. The swallowing of the portkey, and Harry's attack on the four of them.

"It was so fast, Harry just appeared, and dropped the Weasleys so fast I doubt they registered his arrival. A stunning spell grazed me, and Harry disarmed Hermione. He told me to get out of there."

Dumbledore gave a great sigh of relief. "So he is truly still on our side."

Cho nodded and smiled. "I told him I couldn't, and he swore. A short Death Eater arrived, sounding very scared." At this, the great black dog at her bedside gave an almost human snort, letting his tongue loll out of his mouth in silent self-satisfaction. "He told Harry that they needed to get out of there, then asked if I was the one he wanted. Harry nodded and I was stunned."

Cho took another sip of water before continuing. "I woke, shackled to a table. I had no idea how long I had been there, when Harry entered. He told me that I'd been there for a few hours. I tried to get him to release me, but he refused. He asked me if I had any way of getting back to Hogwarts, and I hesitated. He took my hesitation as a positive answer and looked very relieved. I told him I would be taken back at about midday, and that he should come with me. He looked happy that I was going to go back, but refused to come with me.

"He left for a while, and I got so scared. He eventually came back though, told me I had four hours to go until I was brought back to the Shrieking Shack, and gave me a potion." she paused for another sip, her voice getting stronger.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows. "What was this potion?"

Cho shrugged, when winced in discomfort. "I don't know its name, it was bright purple, and he said it was given to women to help with labour pains."

Dumbledore nodded. "I know the one. Very easy to make, and quite a potent pain killer."

Cho smiled. "Once he gave it to me he started giving me bruises, he'd put his wand against me and mutter a curse. With the pain relief potion, it felt nothing more than the ache after bumping into something, but the bruises are very large and convincing."

Dumbledore nodded again, regarding Cho's cheek, swollen and purple. "Very convincing indeed."

Cho stopped smiling. "Then You-know-who came in, with two Death Eaters. I screamed, and Harry hit me to shut me up."

Dumbledore frowned, and asked, "He hit you? Did it hurt?"

Cho shook her head. "He didn't have his fist clenched tight. It felt little more than a slap."

"It would appear that Mr. Potter was walking a fine line between keeping you safe, and blowing his cover."

"I agree. I wasn't sure at the time, but I know now that he is trying to find out everything he can to help us. He shoved something in my mouth before gagging me, something for me to bring back I suppose."

Dumbledore nodded and turned his attention to the two articles on the side table. Poking the parchment with his wand, he muttered a spell Cho didn't recognise. It glowed blue. "This will bear examination, once we have time. For now, please continue."

Cho continued. "You-know-who was..."

"Say his name, Miss. Chang."

Cho swallowed nervously. "Vol-Voldemort was furious. Apparently, on the mission to Hogsmeade a wizard was captured. He thought that the mission there would be simple and easy. Someone called Wormtail was in charge and had messed up."

The excited yaps from Sirius could only indicate his joy at this news.

Cho smiled at the dog. "One of the Death Eaters, who answered to the name Goyle, was sent to get Wormtail. V-Voldemort turned to Harry and told him to continue hurting me."

Dumbledore reach over and gently took her small hand in his.

"Harry showed them a branding curse from Egypt, one that was used on criminals. Apparently the only cure for the brand is-"

"-Phoenix tears." Dumbledore answered for her. "Willingly given phoenix tears. I'm sure Fawkes will be delighted to give some tears to Harry for him to give to you. Once I've explained the situation to him of course."

Cho nodded in thanks. "I tried to stop him from branding me, pleaded and everything. Nothing worked. He ripped my clothes open and put his hand in his pockets. That was when he put something in my mouth, and gagged me.

"He said some things to me that made me so scared at the time. I really thought the Harry I love had disappeared, and a different Harry had taken his place. I struggled, trying to stay away from his wand. He put me in a bind so I couldn't move a muscle. Then he started to burn me."

Dumbledore looked furious. "He branded you? Harry did this?"

Cho nodded. "But it isn't what it seems. For some reason, I felt no pain at all. He kept saying to me that he could see the pain in my eyes. For hours he burned me, but even when he burned over the bruises, I felt no pain at all. I think that is why he tried scaring me. To get me jerking around enough that he had the excuse to cast a full body bind on me. That way, I couldn't give away the fact that I was not in any pain."

Dumbledore sat back with a sigh. "I had forgotten that particular spell could let you modify the amount of pain it caused. That was so children born to parents sentenced to multiple lifetimes could be branded too, to complete the sentence of their parents."

Cho shuddered at the thought of such a barbaric act. "Voldemort and his other Death Eater stood and watched. Harry kept them entertained enough that they didn't have a go at torturing me. Harry would tear off some of my robes, and would then burn patterns into my skin. Then he would remove more of my clothes, and burn me some more. For four hours, he slowly burned me. He then stopped, and handed me over to the other Death Eater. I think he knew what time it was, and didn't want to be the one I was with when I was taken back."

"Did the other Death Eater harm you in any way?"

Cho shook her head. "He took me to a cell, then threw me in. He said he knew Harry was spying for you, but he needed proof for Voldemort. He was going to rape me, to get Harry's reaction as proof that he still felt feelings for me, and didn't follow the Dark Lord. But the portkey I swallowed brought me back; just as Voldemort walked in on us, and just before he assaulted me."

"Harry timed his theatrical torture of you well then."

Cho nodded. She looked under the light sheets at her scarred body. "I hope Harry comes back to us soon, then I can be healed."

Dumbledore nodded, releasing the silencing charm. "I also, Miss Chang, hope for Harry's safe return. For now, please accept my apologies for making you relive your ordeal, and try to submit to Poppy's ministrations with good grace."

Cho smiled at him. "Thank you, professor."

A rather huffy Madam Pomfrey stormed over. "May I now help the poor girl?" she demanded of the headmaster.

"Yes, Poppy. Thank you for your understanding." With a flick of his wand, Dumbledore levitated the two items he had removed from Cho's mouth. "Come, Snuffles, we have work to do."

The headmaster and large black dog left the infirmary, leaving a furious nurse to finally attempt to heal Cho's battered body.

Harry lay aching on his soft bed. After Cho had disappeared, Voldemort had flown into a rage. Lucius had been lucky to escape with his life, since he had been the last person with Cho before the portkey took her away. Harry had been next, after Lucius had lost consciousness, and had been placed under the Cruciatus curse several times.

It was while he was under the Unforgivable curse that Harry felt a large black pit in his mind, filled with the horrors of Azkaban. Oblivion had called, seducing him with its pleasant and enticing nothingness. Harry wanted to let go, to fall into the gaping chasm; it was only his memory of what happened to Neville's parents that prevented him from submitting to his desire.

It had threatened to swallow him, making him lose whatever shreds remained of his sanity. He had been tempted, the pain had been excruciating.

In truth, Harry was extremely worried about his mental health. Several times when he was painlessly branding Cho, he had to fight down the temptation to actually cause her pain.

Now, lying down in the comfort of his bed, Harry thought back, and felt a deep burning shame at his body's reaction to his naked girlfriend being branded. He had become erect near the beginning of Cho's ordeal, and for the full four hours, he had tried everything he could think of to keep himself from forcing himself onto her.

Was he sane, was anyone sane if they become aroused at causing pain in the person you loved?

Harry winced as he swallowed. Even that hurt. The only reason Voldemort had finally given up torturing Harry was because Harry managed to point out, between painful episodes, that he didn't know how to make a portkey, and that none of the books in his room gave him instructions.

Well, he wouldn't be here much longer. He had learned nearly all he thought he needed. In the practical fighting he did with the other Death Eater's recruits, he had excelled. Though he was younger and less experienced than the rest, Harry had managed to not only hold his own, but had become proficient. He was not the best, there were a pair of recruits who had been duelling experts, but he was proud of his accomplishments.

Harry looked at the time, and noticed that it was almost eleven o'clock. Forcing his aching body to its feet, Harry trudged over to his desk, and picked up his notebook and a quill. He made his way back to his bed and lay down.

He opened the notebook, and from the lining, extracted a sheet of parchment he had enchanted earlier. Smiling at the recollection of the cooking shows his Aunt used to watch with the chefs on TV, Harry smoothed the enchanted sheet, and started to write on it.

Professor Dumbledore?

It had taken Dumbledore and Sirius half an hour to uncrumple the sheet of parchment Harry had hidden in Cho's mouth. They had been paranoid enough not to touch it, and had uncrumpled it using tiny summoning and banishing charms to unfold it.

Once flat, Sirius had cast a drying charm, to remove the last traces of Cho's saliva.

There was a single time written on the parchment, in Harry's handwriting. 11 pm.

The pair now sat in the headmaster's office, waiting for the allotted time to arrive.

As Dumbledore's clock chimed out the hours, the parchment made a scratching noise, and writing appeared.

Professor Dumbledore?

Sirius looked at Dumbledore, who nodded. He picked up a quill and replied.

No, this is Snuffles.

Sirius! How is Cho?

She is fine, Harry, though the burns you gave her are not healing.

They won't. Not until I give her some phoenix tears.

We know. Albus knows the curse. How are you?

OK, V wasn't too happy with Cho's disappearance. He put most of us under the Cruciatus.

Us?

The Death Eaters and the recruits. Are you ready for names?

Yes.

Harry's parchment began listing the names of all the Death Eaters, and all the recruits he had seen. The look of triumph in Dumbledore's eyes returned at this intelligence.

Any more, Harry?

There are a couple of people who aren't Death Eaters, but are higher in rank than the recruits. Narcissa Malfoy for one.

Any others?

Only another of my instructors here. I still don't know his name, though he looks like Macnair. Younger brother or cousin I'd guess.

Instructors?

I'm being taught here. Potions is fun, Narcissa teaches me that. According to her notes I am nearly rivalling Snape at my age, though I have a way to go before getting as good as my mother.

She shows you her notes?

I didn't say that...

Dumbledore shook his head. "It would appear that even the son of a Marauder is more than a match for the Dark Lord's minions when it comes to sheer deviousness.

Sirius gave him a grin and turned back to the parchment.

Your mother was one of the most brilliant potions students in Hogwarts' history, along with Draco's mother. She and Narcissa had a rivalry similar to yours with Draco, and they competed with their potion skills.

So Draco's mother and mine hated each other, and our fathers hated each other too. I suppose it stands to reason we were never going to be friends.

Harry, Cho told us that the Death Eater who took her to the dungeon knows you are spying for us.

Malfoy. I think 'suspects' would be a better term. Maybe 'hopes' would be even more accurate. Until today, V has been very happy with my performance.

Happy?

With my progress. He even thought my idea to stake out Hogsmeade last night was a good idea. Wormtail messed up.

Why did you warn them about me?

I saw you in the shadows. There was a scheduled sweep of the ground coming up in a few minutes, I had to warn you away.

Oh. Hogsmeade was your idea?

Yes, I wanted to try to talk to you, or even pass a message to you, but I didn't see you at all.

I tried convincing Albus to split the defences between the ministry and the Three Broomsticks because of you.

Good thing you didn't, V was in a rage when he got back from the ministry.

That is good news, we only lost three aurors, and captured a dozen of Voldemort's minions.

Sorry for the loss. Tell me, did you capture a girl, dark curly hair, dark eyes and pale skin. Badly injured?

Sirius looked up at the headmaster. Dumbledore frowned and nodded.

Yes, why?

V did that to her before the raid. I don't really want to talk about it. Suffice to say that I'm glad she is out of his hands.

How long can we talk like this?

Til midnight. It is a one shot, so after tonight, it will go blank and unmagical.

You couldn't make it permanent?

Of course, but this discussion can be detected and read at a later stage if it is permanent.

But then we could talk at other times.

Not necessary.

Why?

I'll be out of here soon.

Where is here?

Somewhere in London.

London? Are you sure?

Saw a window once. Recognised the skyline.

Can you describe the view?

Far right of view had a large gate, made of vertical bars in the shape of an arch. Oriented so I saw it almost side on. It opened onto a park. They were high bars, gold tips. Very near this building.

OK.

Central view was of a large park, lots of people.

In London? That doesn't help much.

About halfway to the left, a large arch, but further away. I think I remember it from primary school. Wellington's arch.

Dumbledore created a map of London on one of the walls of his study with a wave. Looking for Wellington's arch, he found it at the intersection of Hyde park and Green Park. Rolling his head from shoulder to shoulder, Dumbledore tried to determine what Harry's point of view was. In an instant, Dumbledore's eyes widened in shock. "He's here. Right here."

Sirius looked up and paled at what Dumbledore was pointing to. "If Voldemort has infiltrated them..."

"We may have more trouble than we expected."

Sirius went straight back to writing to Harry.

We know where you are now.

Really? I didn't think I saw enough to pinpoint my location.

Harry, you are in Buckingham Palace.

For almost a minute, no writing appeared from Harry.

Harry?

I'm here. That actually makes sense.

What do you mean?

The room I've been given in is fit for royalty. I actually thought that myself after moving in, without making the connection.

Harry if you are in Buckingham Palace, then the Royal family may be supporting Voldemort.

Don't think so. We are pretty tightly controlled. More likely is that they have been charmed to ignore this wing, and since the Ministry leaves the Royals alone, it is the perfect hiding place for V.

We need to get you out of there, before we raid the place.

As I told Cho, I'll go when I'm ready. There are still things I need to learn.

When?

Soon. But I need you to get some things for me.

How are you going to get these things from us?

Leave them in the cave where you and Buckbeak stayed. I'll get them once I'm out of here.

What do you need?

Harry started listing items, nearly all of them muggle made, and non magical. Dumbledore made a list on a separate sheet.

Got it Harry, just one question.

Yes?

What the hell is fluoric acid?

--

  • Previous
  • Next