Content Harry Potter Crossovers
  • Previous
  • Next

Seek

It was early afternoon when Harry woke. He stretched and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

Sunlight peaked in through the gaps in the boarded windows, forming glowing lines in the dusty air. Harry marveled at how colourful everything was. There was no colour Harry could remember in his prison cell. He made a mental note to ask Sirius if there were any differences through a canine's colour-blind eyes.

Harry looked around, noting that Sirius was not there. He rose and looked around the shack. It was the first time he had been inside during the day. It looked far less sinister than he expected.

A patter of canine feet could be heard just outside the front door. Harry opened the door to admit Sirius entrance without having to transform. The enormous black dog entered, carrying a discarded newspaper in his mouth. He dropped the paper and turned back into a human.

"You'll never guess what has happened." Sirius said, eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Let me try. Fudge has been implicated in a conspiracy to free me, having assisted me to escape from Azkaban when he visited two weeks ago, and he has had to resign in shame." Harry said, deadpan.

Sirius stood still in shock before leaping at Harry and bearing him to the floor.

"You bloody sneak. You did this! Why didn't you tell me?" he yelled, trying not to laugh.

Harry could hardly speak, he was laughing so hard. "I just...wanted...to see...the look...on your...face."

Sirius got off Harry and helped him to his feet. "Was the look on my face to your satisfaction?" he asked sourly.

"Priceless!" Harry finally got his laughter under control. "I guess it worked."

"If you wanted to embarrass the minister enough to make him resign, then yes you succeeded beyond your wildest dreams."

"Really?"

"Yep, with that letter, which I now assume you wrote, an investigation is being conducted into the good minister's performance. It was pointed out the I also escaped and haven't been captured yet. Skeeter suggested that he may have helped me escape too. Here, read it for yourself." Sirius picked up the paper and passed it to Harry.

ROTTEN FUDGE
Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent

It seems something is indeed rotten in the Ministry, and the rot goes right to the top. The Ministry and Cornelius Fudge in particular have been denying the recent increase in dark wizard activity is anything more than rogue wizards out for a lark. It appears that Minister Fudge is being less that truthful about what he knows.

The Daily Prophet can bring you exclusive proof that Minister Fudge is in fact up to his ugly bowler hat in Dark Wizard activity. Not four hours after Mr. Harry Potter's escape from Azkaban, a letter dropped on the Minister's desk. The letter was magically confirmed to have been written by young Mr. Potter, less than two hours after his unexplained escape. The letter's contents are nothing short of Mr. Potter thanking the Minister for his help in escaping, and a request for further instructions.

Harry looked at his godfather and grinned. "I'd say she took the bait. How do you think she'd react if she found out she had been lead along by the nose?"

Sirius laughed. "I'd say she'd put a volcano to shame. Keep reading, the best is yet to come."

Harry turned back to the paper and continued to read.

At the discovery of this treachery, The Daily Prophet started digging into the Minister's previous movements. We can report that the minister visited the only other escapee from Azkaban, one Sirius Black, only days before his escape. It would appear that our dear Minister has been instrumental in aiding and abetting the escape of both fugitives.

Harry looked up again. "So you had help from him too. What a naughty man."

Sirius nodded. "Keep going."

As morality and ethics demanded, The Daily Prophet handed all evidence to the Auror Head. This reporter then followed the aurors to the arrest of the now ex-Minister Fudge. Protesting his innocence, the minister was led away and is being held in the very same cell that Mr. Potter vacated yesterday.

Harry's eyes widened. "I only wanted him to be embarrassed enough to resign."

"That's my little Marauder, always over-achieving." Sirius laughed, ruffling Harry's long hair. "Though it is nice that Fudge is ruined, the best is yet to come."

Harry lowered his eyes and started reading once more.

With the removal of Fudge from office, Mr. Arthur Weasley, formerly of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office has been named temporary Minister of Magic. Mr. Weasley's name was put forward by Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, and was accepted by the other department heads.

Mr. Weasley's first action was to announce an investigation into the claimed resurrection of You-know-who. It appears that the previous minister had suppressed evidence and witness statements giving support to the claim that the most feared dark wizard of our time has returned.

The report continued for the next several pages. Harry put the paper down and looked at his godfather, a grin on his face.

"Well, Harry, Fudge is ruined..." Sirius started.

"...the best man for the job has taken over..." Harry replied.

"...and the world will know that Voldemort is back!" Sirius finished.

Harry smirked at his godfather. "So," he said, looking at his fingernails. "What have you accomplished before breakfast today?"

Seconds later, Harry was wrestling with an enormous black dog that was doing its best to cover him with slobber.

An hour later, Harry was in the rusty old bathtub in the small bathroom. Sirius had filled it with rainwater and heated it with his wand. The sensation of being both clean and warm almost intoxicating to Harry.

Sirius knocked on the door and passed in a towel. He looked at Harry's almost skeletal frame critically. "They didn't really feed you well, did they?"

"I used to get more at the Dursleys."

Sirius shook his head. "Whoever framed you, we'll find."

Harry's eyes burned bright green for the first time in months. "Yes, yes we will."

Summer before fifth year

The trip back to Diagon Alley from the cemetery was a quiet one. Harry had wiped the tears from his eyes before walking back to Cho and her Grandfather. He and Cho had held hands tightly for the whole trip home.

Cho wasn't needed in the apothecary that afternoon, so she and Harry spent the rest of the day at her home. She showed him her bedroom, and let him look through the family's enormous library. They looked through the family photo albums, Harry particularly interested in the photos of baby Cho with her parents.

It was early evening and Cho couldn't stand the tension any longer. "Harry, are you OK. You haven't said anything about our trip today."

Harry took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He looked at Cho, and saw only sincerity in her dark eyes. "I finally got to say goodbye to him, Cho. I realised just how much I admired and respected him. I now know how much you miss him. But I feel at peace. Cedric would not have wanted me to wallow in self-pity, he'd have wanted me to live and enjoy life. If our positions had been reversed, I'd have wanted the same for him. I am not going to feel guilty any more, Cho. I won't disrespect Cedric memory."

Cho's expression was unreadable. She looked all over his face searching for something. Her eyes became bright with unshed tears, and she caught Harry in a tight hug.

For the first time, Harry didn't flinch at the contact. He immediately returned the embrace. The two of them stood there for long minutes, just taking comfort in the presence of the other.

A discrete cough interrupted their private moment. They broke apart and turned to look at Cho's father. He gave the pair a smile and motioned for them to sit. Harry rather nervously sat on the couch next to Cho.

"Harry, Cho's mother and I have been discussing your relationship with our daughter. Cho was in a very fragile state when she arrived home at the end of last term, and we watched her come out of her depression through her correspondence with you. Cho has told us of the resurrection of You-know-who, and how you are essentially in constant danger."

Harry began to say something in his defense, but Mr. Chang held up his hand. "Please, let me finish.

"Cho is very precious to us, as she is our only daughter. As her parents, we are concerned with the amount of danger you are putting her in just by being her friend, let alone something more serious. However, over the last few days we have come to know you, you Harry, not you, The-Boy-Who-Lived." He took a deep breath.

"We have heard stories of your exploits at school, and reading into the events show us that you are willing to do all you can to protect those who are close to you. Cho has been so happy in your company, and her mother and I could not have hoped for a nicer person to be her first serious boyfriend." Both Harry and Cho blushed at this. "You have shown yourself to be conscientious of her and our needs, and have given us much happiness. What I am trying to say is, we have no objection to you dating our daughter."

Harry didn't trust his voice enough to say anything other than a croaky "Thank you." Cho jumped to her feet and gave her father a tight hug and a kiss. She also gave him a whispered "Thank you" before letting go.

Mr. Chang smiled. "I know when to make a strategic withdrawal, so I will bid the both of you goodnight. Unfortunately, I will need you in the shop tomorrow, Cho. It is our busiest day of the year." Cho nodded, and her father left them alone.

Harry was still trying to swallow the lump in his throat. He was grateful when Cho caught him in a tight hug. Finally Harry got his voice under control.

"Cho, what your father said, it er, it meant a great deal to me."

"I know Harry. You should be proud though, he has scared off a couple of boys for wanting to be my boyfriend."

Harry straightened. "When?"

Cho gave him an impish grin. "I think I was seven at the time."

Harry tightened the hug. "You little minx."

Cho smiled and snuggled closer, resting her head on his chest. It was fast becoming her favourite position. "That's me." she said. They were silent for a minute before Cho spoke again.

"Harry, about tomorrow. I will need to be in the shop all day. My whole family will. I don't think there will be any room for you too, and I won't be able to pay any attention to you until we close."

"That's OK, Ron and Hermione are arriving tomorrow. I haven't seen them for two months. I was going to ask if you wanted to spend the day with us, but I understand your father needs you."

"Mmm, it will be good for you to see your friends again. How about I meet you all at the Leaky Cauldron for dinner?"

"That sounds just fine. I'm looking forward to it already."

"Me too, Harry. Me too."

Harry paced the floor in the main lounge of the Leaky Cauldron. Ron and Hermione should have arrived already. He was starting to get worried about them.

The fire in the fireplace suddenly glowed green, and Hermione stepped out. She brushed the soot off her robes and looked up at Harry's greeting. "Harry!" she exclaimed.

She ran over and embraced her friend. Harry returned the embrace without his customary hesitation. She leant back and looked into his eyes. There was something different about him. Before she could work out what it was, Ron appeared in a burst of green flame. He stumbled out of the fireplace and saw his two friends hugging. "Harry!" he yelled.

Harry let go of Hermione, and grabbed Ron in a brief, rough hug. Ron had grown a couple of inches over the summer and now towered a half foot over Harry. As they separated, Hermione realised just what it was that was different about Harry.

It wasn't just the fact that Harry had tied his hair back in an obvious imitation of Bill Weasley. It wasn't that his scar was now completely visible to all. When she left him on platform 9 & 3/4, he had been withdrawing into depression, forming a protective shell around him, to keep out the world. She had watched him on the train, absorbed in self-pity. Now, he was more open than she had ever seen him. He was just more, well, more alive.

Hermione turned as the fire burned green once more, and saw Fred Weasley step out. Seconds later, George joined him. Ignoring the soot on their robes, they looked at Harry and simultaneously said "Bill! You didn't tell us you were entering a Harry Potter look-alike competition."

Harry blushed and said "Shut it, you two. It is the only way I can keep my hair under control."

Another burst of green flame, and Ginny stepped into the lounge. Fred and George turned to her with identical grins.

"Ginny!" Fred exclaimed. "It appears that Harry is hero-worshipping a member of our family. What do you think?"

Ginny blushed at the attention. She looked at Harry's short ponytail and mumbled something under her breath.

George spoke up, "What was that, Gin? We didn't catch that."

"I said I liked it the way it was." said Ginny, unable to look at anyone.

A final green flash, and Mrs. Weasley appeared, took one look at the mortified look on Ginny's face and immediately started berating the twins.

Harry turned to Ron in amazement. "How does she do that?"

Ron shook his head. "Don't ask. Even the twins are having a hard time escaping her notice."

Mrs. Weasley finally finished her tirade at the twins, and without pausing for breath turned and gave Harry one of her motherly hugs. "Harry, pet, how are you. I hope those muggles didn't treat you to badly over the summer. I'm sorry we couldn't get permission from the headmaster for you to visit us."

That's OK, Mrs. Weasley. I have spend the last few days here. It has been good, my time at Privet Drive is a distant memory."

"That's nice, dear. Now, you, Ron and Hermione can go and get all your school things. Fred and George, behave yourselves. Ginny, you can come with me."

"Actually, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione interrupted, giving Harry an appraising look. "Why don't we take Ginny with us, that way you can keep an eye on the twins, so they don't burn down Diagon Alley or something." she suggested sweetly.

Harry almost burst out laughing at the different expressions the Weasleys produced at that announcement. Ron was looking confused, while Mrs. Weasley gave the twins a thoughtful look. The twins expressions could not have been described as anything other than mortified, and Ginny looked torn between apprehension and anticipation.

"Mum!" the twins exclaimed. "We don't need a baby sitter!"

"Sometimes I beg to differ. Alright, Ginny, you go with Ron. Be careful and I'll see the four of you later. Come on, the pair of you."

Throwing Hermione murderous glares, the twins were bustled out of the Leaky Cauldron under the watchful eye of the Weasley matriarch. Ginny watched the twins' exit with malicious glee.

"I take it your summer hasn't been very enjoyable with those two prats around, eh Gin?" Harry asked.

Ginny smiled bashfully and shook her head.

"Well don't worry, let's go and have some fun."

Hermione just smiled mysteriously.

Though Harry had already bought his school supplies for the next year, he enjoyed spending time with his friends. Hermione had spent the last week at The Burrow, and had refused to talk about her trip to Bulgaria. Ron had been sulky for the first few days, before Hermione had stunned him with the announcement that she had not in fact visited Krum. Apparently Ginny had almost hurt herself from laughing so hard at Ron's change in attitude.

Harry could only smile to himself as he watched the constant bickering between his two best friends. It just seemed to be one long continuous argument, moving seamlessly from one topic to the next without so much as a pause for breath. Neither of them looked as though they were taking it seriously. An image sprang to Harry's mind of an old couple he had once seen in a park as a child, the two of them obviously enjoying the argument that had to have begun several decades ago.

Finally they sat down for ice-cream ("Ron, you always have chocolate!" "So? Why do you care?") at Florean Fortescue’s for a rest. Hermione deliberately positioning herself so as to seat Harry and Ginny next to each other. They both looked a little uncomfortable at this.

"You know Hermione," Harry started. "Fred and George are going to get their revenge on you somehow for tricking Mrs. Weasley into taking them around. I'd watch out if I were you."

Hermione huffed. "I'm not scared of those two."

"You sure?" Harry grinned. "They're standing right behind you."

With a shriek that drew the attention of all the wizards nearby, Hermione jumped out of her seat and spun round. The twins were nowhere in sight.

"You.. you.." she yelled, shaking her fist inches under Harry's nose. The other three at the table were laughing at her antics.

"Don't tell me there is trouble in paradise?" a familiar and unwelcome voice drawled. "Mudblood, you really shouldn't draw attention to yourself like that. No one likes a showoff."

"Malfoy!" Harry exclaimed happily. His tone surprised Ron to such an extent that he forgot about protecting Hermione's honour. "So good to see you. We could use your experience in the matter we were discussing."

Draco frowned. "What do you mean?" he asked suspiciously.

"We were discussing the aerodynamic properties of various flying rodents, and had just got round to ferrets, when you show up. Talk about good timing." Ron fell back in his seat with a laugh.

Draco's face coloured. "Watch yourself, Potter."

"You'd be the expert at that, eh Draco? After all those boils and sores the train trip last year, I bet you've spent more time in front of a mirror than anyone I know."

Draco's pale eyes filled with hatred. "You'll get your's, you and all your mudblood loving friends."

"OK, whatever. Run along back to Daddy, I'm sure he'll give you a big hug and let you cry."

Hermione was alternating staring at Harry and Draco. Harry was casually slouched in his chair, a mocking expression on his face. Draco looked as though he was choking on something.

Draco finally stormed away muttering to himself. Hermione leapt up and gave Harry a hug, much to the displeasure of both Weasleys. "That was brilliant, Harry. I'd never have thought you could be so mature to not rise to Malfoy's taunts."

Harry looked abashed. "It was just something that I had some help with over summer. I was writing to someone who convinced me to try something different when dealing with Malfoy. I'll have to let her know that it was a complete success."

"Who were you writing to, Harry?" Ron and Hermione asked at the same time.

Harry looked down at the table. "Um, Cho. Cho Chang."

The four sat in silence for several seconds. Ron looked surprised, Hermione looked faintly disappointed and Ginny sat stony-faced.

Suddenly, Ginny stood up, gathered her purchases, excused herself and briskly walked towards the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione looked at Harry meaningfully before following. Ron looked just as confused as Harry at the girl's behavior.

"What's up with Ginny?" Harry asked Ron.

"Hermione told me that she was trying to work up the courage all summer to write to you. Apparently she went through a lot of parchment. You didn't get a letter from Ginny at all?"

"Nope."

"Just as well. I'd have to hurt you if you hurt her."

"You've told me all about Ginny's temper, Ron. Do you think that if I hurt her there'd be enough left of me for you to hurt?"

"Good point. Come on, let's go find them, make sure they're OK."

"Wait. Give her a minute to compose herself."

Ginny walked around a corner into a tiny alleyway. She closed her eyes, desperately trying to stop the tear there from falling.

"Gin? Are you OK?"

Ginny spun and buried her face into Hermione's shoulder and let out a cry. Hermione held the younger girl and made what she hoped were soothing noises.

"Gin, why did you run off like that?"

"I've lost him. He's seeing that, that cow," Ginny sobbed.

"How do you know that? All he said was that he had been writing to her."

Ginny pulled back and looked at Hermione with bloodshot eyes. "Harry blushed, then cupped his hands together and looked down when he said that. Whenever he does that there is something else he is not telling you, something he is embarrassed about."

Hermione blinked. Ginny seemed to know Harry and his body language better than she did. "How long have you been looking at Harry, Gin?"

"Since my first year." Ginny sniffed and swallowed, getting herself under control. "It's not right, it's just not right."

"What do you mean?"

"In every story where the hero kills the dragon that is holding a girl prisoner, they always get together. Well, Harry killed my dragon, and he hasn't looked at me twice since. He has said more to me today than the whole of my life. He doesn't love me, he doesn't even notice I'm there." Ginny started to cry again.

Hermione's face became thoughtful. "Right, we'll have to do something about that. Cheer up, you get to see Harry every night in the common room, Cho won't have that advantage. We'll make Harry yours by Christmas."

Ginny looked into Hermione's sparkling eyes, and couldn't help but smile.

Harry turned to Cho after saying goodbye to his friends and sending them home through the fireplace. "I will never in my life understand women."

Cho looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"Ginny. When I told them that I had been writing to you all summer, she stood up and stormed off, Hermione went after her. When Ron and I found them a couple of minutes later, she was smiling and as happy as can be." Harry shook his head.

Cho smiled wistfully at him. "You have no idea, do you?"

"No. If it is so obvious, tell me."

Cho gave him her most impish smile. "She likes you. She was all but throwing the killing curse at me during dinner."

Harry shook his head. "She doesn't know me. Apart from that time in the Chamber and today, we haven't exchanged more than a few words. I think she only likes Harry, The-boy-who-lived, the one with the famous scar."

"Well, I like the real Harry, the one who comforted me when my friend died, the one who makes me laugh, the one who infuriated my parents by refusing to stop working in their store."

Harry just looked at her, once again struck by her beauty. He leaned forward to kiss her, but she put two fingers on his lips. "Not here, Harry."

She took his hand and led him up to his room.

Cho stared at the ceiling of her room and sighed in contentment. The pair had spent a few hours kissing and petting in front of the fire in Harry's room. Cho's insides trembled with excitement as she remembered his touch.

Harry had traced his initials on her bare chest, then a heart, and then her initials. Over and over again. The gentleness of his touch combined with the burning passion of his kisses had her senses reeling. Cho placed her hand on her chest. She could still feel Harry's touch several hours after he had walked her home.

She should really try get to sleep; tomorrow she had to catch the train back to school for another year, but the memory of Harry's touch was just too pleasant.

--

  • Previous
  • Next